McNair Scholars Program
The McNair Scholars Program is a federal TRIO program funded at 151 institutions across the United States and Puerto Rico by the US Department of Education. It is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities.
McNair participants are either first-generation college students with financial need, or members of a group that is traditionally underrepresented in graduate education and have demonstrated strong academic potential. The goal of the McNair Scholars Program is to increase graduate degree awards for students from underrepresented segments of society.
The McNair Scholars Program prepares qualified juniors and seniors for graduate study leading to PhD degrees. McNair Scholars receive comprehensive support to earn undergraduate degrees, complete research projects in their fields of study, and apply to graduate schools. The program’s limited size provides a close-knit community while helping students gain a broad understanding of research and university culture.
Wednesday, 11/1/18 (Priority Deadline)
For more information or to discuss your application,
contact Dr. Josh Snodgrass
- $2800 summer research stipend
- Classes to enhance research and writing skills
- Workshops on graduate funding
- Preparation for the GRE
- Assistance with admissions essays
- Individualized advising
- Travel to conferences
- Travel to visit prospective schools
- Tuition support
Selective and demanding, the program provides opportunities that propel motivated students toward earning doctoral-level degrees. A prospective participant must:
- have earned at least 75 undergraduate credits, but not yet have a bachelor’s degree.
- have a GPA that is competitive for entry into graduate school.
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- be low-income and first-generation (neither parent has a bachelor’s degree) or be from a group under-represented in graduate education.
- be enrolled in upper-division coursework in the major.
- be committed to success.