McNair Scholars Program
The McNair Scholars Program (TRiO) prepares qualified juniors and seniors for graduate study leading to PhD degrees. McNair Scholars receive comprehensive support to earn undergraduate degrees, complete research projects in their fields of study, and apply to graduate schools. The program’s limited size provides a close-knit community while helping students gain a broad understanding of research and university culture.
- $2800 summer research stipend
- Classes to enhance research and writing skills
- Workshops on graduate funding
- Preparation for the GRE
- Assistance with admissions essays
- Individualized advising
- Travel to conferences
- Travel to visit prospective schools
- Tuition support
Selective and demanding, the program provides opportunities that propel motivated students toward earning doctoral-level degrees. A prospective participant must:
- have earned at least 75 undergraduate credits, but not yet have a bachelor’s degree.
- have a GPA that is competitive for entry into graduate school.
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- be low-income and first-generation (neither parent has a bachelor’s degree) or be from a group under-represented in graduate education.
- be enrolled in upper-division coursework in the major.
- be committed to success.